Canoe Trip Planning Information
- Complete Outfitting: $100.00 per person
- Partial Outfitting: $25.00 per person
- Package Trips: (see package trip information)
General Information – Very Important
- Deposits & permit reservation fees are NON refundable in the event of a cancellation. However, your deposit may be applied to a future trip under your name if rescheduled within 3 years. Travel permit reservation fees are not refundable.
- Trips (*except for special package trips) may start on any day of the week. All outfitting charges computed on calendar days. For example, a trip starting on a Saturday and ending the following Saturday would be an 8 day trip.
- Rates are subject to all applicable state, local and Canadian (if any) taxes.
- If you return earlier than scheduled you will receive a refund of one day less than the number of days of early return on your equipment only. We cannot refund on returned food. Also, there is no refund for early return on any of our complete outfitting and/or package trips.
- Additional costs not included in our complete outfitting and package trip rates: fishing licenses, travel permits, Quetico & U.S. Forest Service user fees and all applicable taxes
- Deposits may be paid by personal check or charged to your credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card & American Express.
Equipment Maintenance Agreement
Covers the cost of repairing equipment damaged while in your care. Damage caused by running rapids is not covered. The cost for this is between 4% & 10% of your outfitting charges, depending on what type of outfitting you select. This is optional and you may decline this coverage.
We are open 7 days a week from May 1 to Sept. 30.
Hours: May 1 – 15, 8AM to 5PM. May 16 – Sept. 3: 7AM to 8PM.
During our outfitting season our office is open the same hours as our store and outfitting headquarters. From October 1 to April 30 our office is open from 8AM to 8PM Monday through Saturday.
REGULATIONS AND TRIP NOTES
Cans & Bottles
Non-burnable food and beverage containers are not permitted in the BWCAW or Quetico.
Quotas & Permits
Both the BWCAW & Quetico operate under a quota system. Only a specific number of parties are permitted to enter the canoe country each day. Upon receipt of your reservation we will apply for your travel permit. If you are unsure of your route or entry point, just let us know what type of trip you want to take and we will help you select the best entry point for you.
Fly-In Canoe Trips
Fly-in trips are subject to an 13% Canada tax on the services of the Canadian flying firm.
Reservation Fees & User Fees
The U.S. Forest Service charges a permit reservation fee of $6.00 per permit/party and a user fee of $16.00 per adult and $8.00 for children under the age of 18. To make a permit reservation for you, we must provide the Forest Service with your credit card information to which the $6.00 reservation fee and a $32.00 deposit for your user fee will be charged. The balance (if any) of your user fee will be charged upon your arrival in Ely. We charge a $15.00 service charge for processing your BWCAW reservation.
Quetico Park charges a camping fee of approximately $22.00 per person per night for adults and $8.00 per person per night for children under the age of 18. To make a permit reservation for you we must provide Canada with your credit card information. They require a $100.00 deposit for the user fees and a non-refundable $9.75 reservation fee. You pay the balance of your user fees at the border when you enter Quetico Park. Dogs are permitted in both the BWCAW and Quetico Park, but you must have a current rabies certificate with you when entering Canada. We charge a $25.00 service charge for processing your Quetico permit.
Canada no longer maintains an immigration officer at Prairie Portage so you must fill out a Remote Area Border Crossing Permit application (RABC) if you will be entering Quetico Park. You can download the form from the Canadian Border Services website and it should be mailed to Canada Customs in Thunder Bay, Ontario at least 4 weeks prior to your trip. Also, passports are now required to enter Canada.
Maximum Party Size
There is a limit of 9 persons & 4 canoes per campsite in the BWCAW & 9 persons in Quetico. If you will have more than 9 people in your group you would need additional permits.